Alaska e-Post online

FOIA | Privacy & Security Notice | External Link Disclaimer | Webmaster

Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay available for Soldiers, vets, survivors


By Office of the Chief of Public Affairs
Department of the Army

Soldiers, veterans and survivors of those whose service was involuntarily extended under Stop Loss between Sept. 11, 2001, and Sept. 30, 2008, can apply to receive $500 for every month, or portion of a month, they served under Stop Loss.

The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act established and largely funded the payment for all military services, but dictated that each service process and pay their own applicants.

The Army estimates 136,000 of the approximately 174,000 eligible service members served in the Army.

The Army has created an application process for active and Reserve Soldiers, veterans, and survivors of Soldiers to process claims for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay.

By law, the Army can only accept claims between Wednesday and Oct. 21, 2010.

Eligible candidates must submit their request within this timeframe, or the Army will not be able to process their request.

The Army has set up an e-mail address to field questions people have regarding the benefit. Questions should be sent to

Candidates for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay must submit a claim at Retroactive Stop Loss Web site at

This Web site is the preferred method for submitting applications; however, other means for doing so, such as by mail or fax, will be available to those without access to computers.

Additional communications will provide instructions for alternative forms of submission. During the application process, candidates will be asked to show documentation that indicates the time they served under Stop Loss.

The necessary documentation, depending on their type of service, includes the following:

● Enlisted Soldiers need to present their Department of Defense Form 214 and DD Form 4 Enlistment/Reenlistment/Extension contract(s).

● Enlisted Soldiers who were in an indefinite status need a memorandum showing retirement/separation request was denied or an approved retirement/ separation was amended.

● Officers need a DD Form 214 and memorandum showing Retirement/ Separation request was denied or an approved retirement/separation was amended.

● National Guard Soldiers need to show Department of the Army Form 4187 for Stop Loss adjustment of ETS, separation documentation National Guard Bureau Form 22, and/or NGB Form 1966.

The Army will review, process and pay qualified candidates as they submit their applications. Candidates who meet the criteria and show the required documentation will receive their retroactive payment in a one lump sum.

The Army will not accept applications submitted after Oct. 21, 2010.