Cold-Weather Injuries -
Plan to prevent cold-weather injuries, such as
frostbite, chilblain, and
Establish a cold-weather policy and enforce it. Make sure your plan includes
- Enforce the buddy system.
- Never allow a soldier to wear wet clothing unnecessarily.
- Require soldiers to change socks regularly.
- Enforce the hydration requirement; make sure your soldiers drink water on
a recurring basis.
- Never allow soldiers to sleep in vehicles with engines running or in
confined areas with portable heaters going.
- Require fire guards in sleeping areas.
Cold weather accidents are preventable this winter and every winter.
- Plan ahead
- Take steps to minimize the dangers involved when using heating systems and
- Donít take chances-use extreme caution in driving, walking, and sports.
Cold Weather Injuries Chart
"Prevention of cold injuries is the
responsibility of commanders at all levels."